How to use "rather" in sentences with meaning in English and Hindi
Example sentences for "rather" in popular movie and book plots
- Intrigued rather than offended by Count Alfred's dossier, Queen Louise invites him to dinner. - The Love Parade
- While Jock begins to woo Queenie, Hank is upset that Queenie is building her success on her looks rather than her talent. - The Broadway Melody
- ) My situation, while I sat there, was rather cool, but the carpenter's art soon relieved me. - Gentlemen, Be Seated!
- When he insists on continuing the mission rather than returning to Earth, members of the crew begin to consider mutiny. - Time for the Stars
- When the police begin to surround Terminal City Max convinces the other transgenics to stand their ground rather than run. - Dark Angel (TV series)
- Lawrence recruits an army that is motivated more by money rather than by the Arab cause. - Lawrence of Arabia (film)
- He would also rather be a tyrant and recites some lines of Ercles. - A Midsummer Night's Dream
- The show's board of directors plan to run a short 10 week season rather than risk losing $25,000 a day in a shaky post-war economy. - The Greatest Show on Earth (film)
- Henry and Eleanor Tilney are shocked but rather sceptical that their brother has actually become engaged to Isabella Thorpe. - Northanger Abbey
- Ryan attempts to persuade the fiercely patriotic Loginov to surrender rather than die in the explosion, but Loginov refuses. - The Hunt for Red October
- This is why he chose to marry for money rather than love. - Sense and Sensibility
- At a ball at which Mr Wickham is not present, Elizabeth dances with Mr Darcy rather against her will. - Pride and Prejudice
- Unfortunately, Emily begins to devolve rather than evolve. - The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
- An Entwicklungsroman ("development novel") is a story of general growth rather than self-cultivation. - Bildungsroman
- As Merrick dies, he tells Buffy to do things her own way rather than live by the rules of others and he says "remember about the music". - Buffy the Vampire Slayer (film)
- The book does not focus on heroic stories of bravery, but rather gives a view of the conditions in which the soldiers find themselves. - All Quiet on the Western Front
Meaning of "rather" in English
Can you explain the meaning of "rather" in simple English? Help us by submitting your answer as comments.
Meaning of "rather" in Hindi
Do you know the Hindi meaning for "rather"? Let us know by posting a comment and earn good karma.
Discuss anything about the word rather below. Improve your vocabulary. Ask experts and help others learn new words. Prepare for exams like GRE, CAT, GMAT, Bank PO, GATE, SAT and others. Learn English as a second language.